Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Looking for Hoichi

Since the previous post was one with European style armor, it seemed only fair to post one with armor from the Far East. This even more so as the recent games I played were with Samurai. Also, I don't think I've posted one wearing this kabuto. The kabuto is sort of Heian and Kamakura. The helmet bowl with large rivets are Heian (12th C.), but the wide, flaring shikoro (neck guard) is more late-Kamakura - early-Muromachi (13th-early 14th C.). This was a custom helmet made by Iron Mountain Armory. The rest of the armor is later period, 16th C.
Anyway, I got the urge to put on the armor after watching old Zatoichi movies on YouTube; and finishing off a pint of Old Rasputin Imperial Stout. On the painting front, I'm still waiting on a Tamiya 1/48 251/1 Hanomag to arrive from Japan. I couldn't resist the price ($17 USD free shipping); but it's been about three weeks now since I won it off ebay. On the gaming front I need to order a copy of Pikeman's Lament as this seems to be the direction the Rampant group of locals are heading in. I also wouldn't mind building either a Polish or Ottoman force. The Winged Hussars and Janissaries from Warlord Games look pretty  nice. Thank you very much for stopping by.

18 comments:

  1. Dude were’s my dog! Impressive helmet.

    I think you’ll like Pikemens lament. Personally I’d go Winged Hussars but then that’s because I’ve had some once. Tomorrow a friend is coming over and giving me his copy of Man who would be king, I think thats the Osprey rules name. Anyways thinking of doing Sudan. Charlton Heston at Khartoum!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! The pup was cruising around nearby. I agree, the Hussars Are Too cool. Chinese Gordon was da bomb. TMWWBK is another Mersey set I plan to get someday. Warm regards, Dean

      Delete
  2. You look ready for battle, Dean! A Tamiya hanomag for $17 is a bargain. I could use one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jonathan. I will let you know if the 'mag ever arrives. I took a chance due to the price. Might be on the slow boat :) Best regards, Dean

      Delete
  3. What a splendid set of Armour Dean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Michael! Funny thing is, when I was a kid, my mom would bring home large pieces of card stock which I made Greek cuirass out of - similar to a linothorax. Now, as a "grown up" I'm still playing around with armor. :) Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  4. Drinking and dressed for battle sounds like its part of a great fireside tale! Looking good Dean!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Simon. Yes, and once my senses are returned there is some embarrassment and reflection :) Kind regards, Dean

      Delete
  5. Nice kit,love to see what you'd do with winged hussars or jannisaries!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Iain. Yes, decisions, decisions. I also saw an "Exotic" list with other tempting choices. Regards, Dean

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. :) Thanks again, Michal! Best regards, Dean

      Delete
  7. Beautiful armor! Ilove the cap and the dark red color! I have a Samurai figure somewhere...
    You inpired me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly! Glad to assist in getting paint on a forgotten figure :) Warm regards, Dean

      Delete