Saturday, September 30, 2017

Lion Rampant Game Day

Just got back from a nice Lion Rampant game day hosted by Pat L. (aka SocalWarhammer). It was held in a quaint library in Gig Harbor, WA. A nice turn out with about 10 or 12 players. I managed to get my Hundred Years War English retinue killed off in two games. I tried to be slick and have a "heavy-hitting" retinue of one Mounted MAA and two Foot MAA units and only one missile firing unit of Mounted Yeomen. Well, that was a recipe for disaster against my first opponent's crossbow and bow heavy Early French retinue. My second game pitted me against bow-armed mounted Mongols. One of my Foot MAA units did kill off a couple of the French in combat - well, if I recall it correctly, I think it was mostly due to his units failing their Courage tests repeatedly. Oh, well I'll take 'em as I can get 'em. Here are a few images of the games. Sorry for the lack of clarity using my cell phone.
My Mounted MAA making the second greatest error in warfare - getting too close and Wild Charging enemy in Rough Terrain; the greatest error being starting a land war in Asia, of course.
My retinue intact at the start of the game. It didn't last long against missile heavy opponents.
My buddy Ron's crossbow blocks.
A nice Middle Eastern set up.
Dark Age scenario
Another Dark Age - Medieval set up.
A Steppe Russian vs. Mongols game.




My buddy Mikey G's awesomely painted Mongols - he also painted the Russians.
My second game had me teaming up with my earlier opponent with his potent crossbow French retinue against a combined Mongol-Russian army.
My Foot MAA waiting to come to close combat with the Mounted Mongol archers - it never happened as the enemy wore them down with bow fire
My buddy Mikey G.'s Russians advancing headlong into the French Crossbowmen. They'll pay a heavy price for their audacity; as did my English!
We're planning to host a, hopefully, larger Lion Rampant game day next March. If I use my HYW English again, they will drop the mounted troops and be replaced with two units of Expert Archers. Not only making the retinue better performing (I hope), but actually more historically correct in composition. On the painting front, I went ahead and ordered a box of Perry European Mercenaries, and just started on them.

27 comments:

  1. Good stuff. I suppose the fact your knights were shot away without coming to grip with the Mongols is fairly accurate. It is also one of reasons why I have not added a Mongol army to the collection. Historical realism does not always make for compelling game play with some armies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's why I don't normally play competively. I like hosting scenario based games. That said, I don't mind participating once in awhile with the local community.

      Delete
  2. Great looking games Dean, sounds like a fun day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mike. It was great playing against a variety of retinues. Really got me thinking of the strengths and weaknesses of my retinue. Well, definitely the weaknesses! :) Warm regards, Dean

      Delete
  3. I'd take your HYW English one step further and run with two Foot MAA and THREE regular archers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, that is worthy of consideration. Thanks, Spencer. Warm regards, Dean

      Delete
    2. I was thinking the same retinue for English HYW.

      Delete
    3. Archers are definitely a must-have; mounted troops - meh!

      Delete
  4. Oh what a lovly day! Great looking game.
    warm regards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you much, Michal. This has been going on for several years now - but the first for me. In fact, the first game day at the library was a Saga tournament. Best, Dean

      Delete
  5. Beautiful tables, love the impressive and splendid Mongols...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Phil. Yes, my buddy Mike really is a great painter. Warm regards, Dean

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Yes, it was very nice playing the games, seeing other folks' figures and just talking. Best Regards, Ddan

      Delete
  7. That looked like a fun day Dean, we planned on having our own Osprey day but will probably cut it down to Lion and Dragon to keep the chaps focused. Thanks for posting.
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It surely was a fine gaming day of LR, Stu. I still want to try out The Men Who Would Be Kings for a smallish Napoleonic game. My buddies converted it for AWI and they also plan to use it for ACW. Warm regards, Dean

      Delete
  8. Nifty looking game and set up, Dean! The crossbow blocks are especially cool. Have not seen one of those e before and now I get two!

    Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right, those crossbow blocks were quite potent units - not sure how historical the formation was though. I was glad to have them on my side when we played a multi-player game. Best, Dean

      Delete
  9. Looks like a great day of gaming Dean!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It surely was, Christopher - great games and good company. Regards, Dean

      Delete
  10. I’m a Saga guy but have heard alot about Lion Rampart. My buddy bought it a few weeks ago and it sounds really easy to swap troops from Saga to Lion and back.

    Enjoyed reading about your game day, and looking at pics (and your right those Mongels look great).

    Cheers
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your nice comment, Kevin. Although the mechanics are a bit different, they both have the skirmish flavor and unit sizes are very similar - read small. In fact, a lot of the locals used to play Saga and "morphed" their Warbands into LR Retinues. For me, LR is a lot easier to play; I never played Saga enough to be comfortable with my battle boards - much less knowing other faction's boards. Best regards, Dean

      Delete
  11. Looks like great fun, wild charge and rough ground ouch! ,I also think crossbows are a bit overpowered.
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Iain. I normally fall for the dumb stuff in my first game; particularly when I rarely play competively. I mostly host scenario based games. And you are not alone in believing crossbows are too powerful. Warm regards, Dean

      Delete
  12. To learn more about replica rolex daytona web site: visit site

    ReplyDelete